A vegetarian's guide to eating out and having fun with carnivores in Washington DC.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Bourbon

Tonight was my second visit to the Bourbon in Adams Morgan and I came away as pleased as I was the first time. I ordered a rail cranberry and vodka and a mac and cheese at the bar while I waited for friends, which came to just $5 each. I was soon joined by friends and we moved to our regular table that seats 8. Around the table our friends sampled the chilli mac & cheese, the spinach salad, the chicken salad and they were all pretty pleased. In the past we had gotten the crab cake sandwich which is outstanding apparently. I have also sampled the grilled cheese and tomato soup a combination for just $9 (or $5 each). One of the side options with the sandwich is bourbon beans which is delicious I hear. You might also want to try their shoestring fries, another signature dish.

Strangely although the place brags of offering 50 varieties of bourbon, our friends were never inspired to order one, so I can't comment on that. We did try various other alcohols and the beers on tap, $5 per rail drink and the same for most beers..not bad at all.

Bourbon is owned by Bill Thomas and Frank Jolley, the guys behind Adams Morgan's Blue Room. The Adams morgan restaurant is located in the same building as the Blue room on 18th street. The original Bourbon is in Glover Park and apparently offers happy hour specials which the Adams Morgan one doesn’t do. Both restaurants have patios and offer the option to sit out on a nice day. While I haven’t been to the place in Glover Park, it’s usually relatively easy to get a table in the Adams restaurant/ bar.

Their brunch looks very exciting and I’m dying to try it. Our friend the Wall did try it out for us and was quite happy with his eggs that he got. Their website states that they now serve brunch between 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday which is great for those who get up late on the weekends! If I were to go during brunch, I would try the bourbon French toast.

For a place that markets its menu as “American comfort foods,” they sure do have a great chef that knows how to make it just right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home