A vegetarian's guide to eating out and having fun with carnivores in Washington DC.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Thriving Logan Circle Restaurants

Last Thursday we wanted to go out to a nice fancy dinner. So rather than a restaurant in downtown DC, we picked Logan Circle. I wanted to check out the new P Street Bistro. I had walked by that week and the Black Bean ravioli platter had called out to me. Some of the other dishes on the menu looked interesting too. On doing some research I learnt that the place was started by Chef Robert Alexander, who has catered White House parties and cooked at the Willard Hotel and Kennedy Center. It was bound to be good food. I liked that he had little plates as well as bigger entrees and more affordably priced sandwiches and burgers. The place was obviously so new that the banner was a plastic banner and the menu on display was simply stuck to the window. I peaked inside and it looked cozy with a small bar and a few tables. But at 7:30 when we were supposed to go inside to eat, it was empty but for one table. Logan Tavern (http://www.logantavern.com/) next door was bustling and seemed much more exciting. We decided to go there inside but the hostess was only able to offer us a place at the group table. That didn’t quite fit with our idea of a romantic evening and so we walked over to Merkado. It was crowded enough to make it look interesting but yet there was room for us.

At Merkado (http://www.merkadodc.com) the guests seemed to be a mix of locals and people who had come in from other parts of the district. There were some diners who were there on business, while others were dressed to party with friends. Our waiter Jeremy was very patient as I debated on what to order. He recommended the cranberry mojito which was delicious and looked very Christmassy with the bright red cranberries and the green mint. We were ravenous and so the huge torilla chips and delicious salsa kept us going while we waited for our food. Shrek got the seared salmon in miso with shrimp and Dashi (Japanese Risotto) for $17.50 which he claimed was delicious. I was undecided so I got the Sweet Potato soup which was very satisfying. I proceeded to get more starchy items for I absolutely had to taste the Wasabi Mashed Potatoes which was perfect (at least I had gone to the gym before my dinner) and the fried plantains. In the end I had way too much food but that way I had leftovers for my lunch the next day. We had no room for dessert otherwise I would have concluded the dinner with the bittersweet liquid chocolate cake w/ coconut cream that I had been eyeing. Shrek was pleased with the decaf cappuccino but wished it wasn’t 9 pm so he could have had the regular cappuccino. The dinner bill came to $50 with tip—not bad for a delicious meal and a hip and happening restaurant. I suspect it might have been a bit more if we had got dessert and I had got my own drink.

In the middle of dinner we looked around and the place was bustling with people. There were throngs of trendy hip young people waiting for a table around the bar and by the door. We were lucky to have picked an early time to dine. As we walked by P Street Bistro, it was still not packed but there were a few tables full with spill over diners from the other two restaurants. I suspect in a few months it will do relatively well due to its great location.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home