A vegetarian's guide to eating out and having fun with carnivores in Washington DC.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The New Tryst

For months we have been talking about the huge need for a new Tryst. The past few times it has been impossible to get a place to sit at Tryst, without having to wait for a table. Yesterday I was delighted to spend my afternoon at http://busboysandpoets.com/. The interesting name is inspired by the African American poet Langston Hughes who was introduced to the world as a "Negro Busboy poet" by the poet Nicholas V. Lindsay was handed poems scribbled on scraps of paper one evening while he was served dinner by Hughes at DC's Wardam Park Hotel. The cafe/bar/bookstore/restaurant/ stage is located on 14th and V. Convenient for those living in the U street, Columbia Heights and Mt. Pleasant area, the place seemed to be bustling with people who had driven there from even further.

I sat next to a web designer who said it was his new choice of place of work made convenient by the fact they were offereing free Wi-Fi. While taking a break from building a website for a client he took advantage of the quaint bookstore within the place and encouraged me to check out the collection. He left for the day, having completed his work for the afternoon and in came another interesting set of people to share the same seating area as me. While my new neighbours raved about the decadent chocolate cake and chocolate mousse cake they had gotten, I was mighty pleased with my order of tomato, basil and mozzarella pizza with pesto sauce that I chose get (for just $ 5.95). I was pleased and a little overwhelmed to be offered a choice of sundried tomato, pesto or marinara sauce for the pizza. The wait staff was friendly and patient while I contemplated my sauce options!

For those who wanted to have a more formal meal there is a restaurant type area at Busboys and Poets. I was also excited to learn that there is a separate theater style area called "Peace Cafe" with booths, tables and a stage area. They have events scheduled everyweekend which range from book readings to independent film fest to FREE cognac tasting. And if you're ever looking to rent out the space..it costs $500 + a $50 audio fee and has a seating capacity of 100 people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home